Wednesday, April 25, 2007

"And I'll Stay with You"















We met my first year of teaching. I know what your thinking... he was checking out the fresh meat. I had just graduated from UNCC's education department and was nervous and determined to stay focused on my career. I was getting ready to move out into my own apartment, so everything was fresh and exciting in and of itself. I had no intentions of finding a boyfriend, much less a husband. We always have this first set of teacher work days. We set up our classes. As you can imagine this is one of the most insane times to be in a school. Even with no little voices and bodies covering the building we are all in a frenzy to make our room presentable and PERFECT for the parents and students. So there I was at my first full-time job, trying to impress the people around me, and stay out the way... But then I saw him. We passed each other a couple of times, and every time he smiled at me. If you have ever seen that smile, it just makes you feel special. We sat near each other on the day that they provided lunch and talked about dogs, I think, and that he rode a bike... who can remember what else?? I called my mom and told her about this "hot third grade teacher" that worked at my school. Well, August and September rolled around and Terrance had invited me to go out with some of his friends, the same weekend of Hillary's wedding. I of course could not go, due to my bride maid's duties, and he was SO disappointed!! He would stand outside of his door intentionally because he had memorized when I would pass by. Later, we end up having our first "date" if you will, with his friend, because of an IOU. But it was the best IOU that we ever could imagine. We were inseparable after that, but very secretive. The majority of our friends and co-workers didn't know anything until we were engaged that April.
I've chosen the picture above to share with you because it is my favorite moment in my wedding. Shockingly as I walked to Terrance down the isle he started crying. Our emotions were on our sleeves. As our song started to play, "Stay with Me" by John Legend, we melted into each other. My uncle captured this moment in this picture. I can still hear the simple lyrics that had bonded us forever. "I'll stay with you through the ups and the downs..." I held Terrance's body weight on my forehead, silently I promised myself that I would hold him up with all of my being for the rest of my life. We hadn't dated for very long, but I'm a firm believer that when you are old enough to get married... and you know- then you know, no questions asked.

" And when the dark clouds arrive, I will stay by your side. I know we'll be alright, I will stay with you. Through the end of all time, I will stay with you." John Legend

No comments: