Monday, August 27, 2012

When was the Last Time...



The first day of school got me thinking about all the firsts of things that we encounter in our years of life.

First day of your life... Mine  9.15.80
First day every year you have a birthday.
First big purchase on your own.
First big job.
First day at your first big job.
First boyfriend.
First love note.
First kiss.
First hug.
First fight.
First best friend.
First tattoo.
First slumber party.
First day of being engaged.
First day of your marriage.
First time you held hands.
First time you got nervous.
First time you had to do presentation.
First time you filled your piggy bank.
First baby.
First time your bring baby home.
First sunrise.
First camping trip.

There are so many firsts in my life, that I know the ones that stand out to me the most.  Engagement, Wedding, Babies...

But all the other ones in between help shape me.  The small firsts that I love are the ones that gave me butterflies, helped me learn to communicate and love wholeheartedly.  The ones that helped me learn to say no.  The first time we all laughed for hours. 

Sometimes I miss the unfamiliar territory of the first.  The excitement and the unknown. I just asked my husband if he remembers holding hands for the first time... the silly nerves.  He laughed, he always thinks I'm crazy.  But we need to remember how we used to be, and add some of it back into who we are.

There is a first time for everything, right?  We say that all the time.  The gift of second chances and hopes for dreams to come true. 

But when was the last time, you did something for the first time?  How did it add to your character.  I think that's what firsts have done for me, even the light hearted ones. 

And this is probably one of my absolute favorites...
photos from pinterest...

No comments: