Friday, June 27, 2014

Four Crawfords Travel

Every year we head to Upstate NY to spend a week with Terrance's family for the 4th of July.  NY peeps just got out of school, so its a huge Summer holiday!


Traveling is not my forte, the act of getting to my destination is not joyful.  I actually dread it.  I feared it as a child, I detested it as a single, despised it while married... and now I have TWO kids, which has not swayed my opinion of traveling.  It's probably getting worse.



So what do people do to make traveling, especially long trips, easier?

Preparing:

  • Get some snacks and drinks from the store, so you don't have to spend as much on the road.
  • Blankets and pillows
  • Diapers
  • DVD Player
  • Small Toys
  • Baby Wipes 


Packing the Car:

  • Make sure the drinks and snack are easily accessible for the screaming toddler who decided he/she needed because they were dying. 
  • Blankets and pillows, make it easier to sleep well, when they do fall asleep.  Be ready to be off your schedule, as far as sleeping goes.  We leave in the evening and travel through the night. This helps our kids be more peaceful travelers.
  • Because my kids still pee in their sleep I let them travel with diapers on, if we aren't going to stop for a few hours.  Just in case they do need to pee, then we don't have to stop every 3o minutes (Nola).
  • We have never traveled with a DVD player before.  Last year Nate was able to use the tablet, and Nola didn't care.  We also tortured ourselves with hours, HOURS, of veggie tales... and I foresee OVERLY EXTENSIVE PLAYING OF FROZEN... so we invested in a dvd player with two screens.  
  • I think I'm going to try to put together some new little travel bags of toys for the car, being sure to pack some favorite toys to help keep the hands busy. 
  • Baby Wipes, pack them,  make them easy to get to, they are better than paper towels.  You don't need water, and the clean anything and everything. 
I have no clue what things will be like this year... since I'm not doing bottles, nursing, potty training, or anything BABY related... I'm hoping it will be our best trip yet! 


No comments: